Monday, May 5, 2014

Learning Czech!

I've never been in a country that speaks a language other than English for this long of a time and I must say that it is a unique experience. Before I arrived here I knew how to say hello, good-day, please and thank you. Because I am only here for three months and the school that I am working at focuses on teaching English, I really am fine not knowing any Czech. Not only is Czech a very complicated language to learn but also each student here knows English very well so talking with them isn't hard. The only place that I really need Czech is when I am at a restaurant or store. I am VERY glad that the first phrase that I learned is, "Hello! I'm sorry, I don't speak Czech!". I can also add, "but I'm learning". :) This comes in handy when I arrive at a store and greet somebody in Czech and then they start speaking really quickly! I just say, "Omlouvám se. Nemluvím česky.". Most people nod and smile and hopefully they appreciate my effort. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment